1. Minutes from April 7, 2016, were approved as written.
2. Academic Program Reviews
- Economics – Having read and discussed the review of the Department of Economics, the Undergraduate Council submits the following unanimously approved report and moves its acceptance by the Faculty Senate.
- Gender and Women’s Studies – Having read and discussed the review of the Department of Gender and Women’s Studies, the Undergraduate Council submits the following unanimously approved report and moves its acceptance by the Faculty Senate.
3.Election of UGC Chair
Dr. McDonough discussed the nomination of the Chair for AY 2016-2017. The UGC voted unanimously for Dr. Susan McDonough to serve as the UGC Chair.
4. Current Postings
The following postings were discussed and approved:
CMPE 212 – Principles of Digital Design(Change: Prerequisite) – The UGC approved the course but requested the department add permission to the description.
CMPE 349 – Introduction to Professional Practice (Change: Description)
CMPE 450 – Capstone I – (Change: Description)
CMPE Gateway Program Change (Program Change)
CHEM 467 – Advanced Analytical Methods (revised from last AY)
HAPP 412 – Research Methods in Health (Change: Course Number)
HIST 390 – Asian Wars (New)
BIOL 405 – Advanced Topics in Comparative Physiology – Revisions (8/9/16)
BIOL 410 – Modeling in the Life Sciences – Revisions
BIOL 443 – Advanced Topics in Developmental Biology – Revisions (8/9/16)
BIOL 481- Advanced Topics in Evolutionary Biology – Revisions (8/9/16)
EDUC 431- Methods for Teaching STEM in the Middle Grades (New) – Revisions (6/24/16)
EDUC 435 – Integrated STEM Content and Pedagogy (New) – Revisions
ENGL 241 – Currents in British Literature (Change: Total Max Credits & Description) – Revisions
ENGL 243 – Currents in American Literature (Change: Total Max Credits & Description) – Revisions
PSYC BS Program changes add PSYC 309 (Program Changes)
PSYC BA Program changes add PSYC 309 (Program Changes)
5. Tabled Postings
The following postings were discussed and tabled at the 4/21/16 meeting:
CMPE 451 – Capstone II – (Change: Prerequisite & Description) – The UGC tabled the course because they were not sure if the department was changing prerequisites and if so the committee needed to know the rationale.
The following courses were discussed and tabled at the 4/7/16 meeting:
ENES 103 – Introduction to MATLAB for Engineering Applications – The UGC tabled the course because it is a college level course and the college needs to be made aware. Also, the course needs an updated syllabus.
AGING Major Program Change (Program Change) – The UGC tabled the course because the department is going to update the program change.
6. Draft Credit Hour Policy and Updated UGC Forms
The UGC discussed the draft credit hour policy and updated UGC forms for comment. Members not attending the meeting on 4/21 were informed of the draft policies and requested to send comments to Amanda Knapp.
7. Other Business
- It was decided that the UGC meetings will be scheduled on Thursdays starting in September. Rosemary Drohan will make arrangements to schedule the meetings over the next couple of weeks for the Academic Year 2016-2017.
- Tamara Brown revealed the updated UGC website which will be located at http://ugc.umbc.edu/. She also will be adding archived agendas, minutes and postings to blackboard for the Registrar’s Office over the summer.