UGC Meeting Minutes
August 31, 2023
Attendees: Eric Abele, Katie Birger, Mia Blackston, Carmen Cain, Lili Cui, Elizabeth Feeser, Pamela Hawley, Cynthia Hody, Erin Hogan, Nicole Seabolt, Richard Sponaugle, Jennifer Volpe, Gary Williams
Election of UGC Chair:
- Approved to re-elect Elizabeth Feeser as (2023-2024) UGC Chair
- Recommended Transfer Program submission to MHEC
- One of the new regulations in COMAR, as a result of the “Transfer with Success Act” is when new programs that require MHEC approval are being sent to MHEC for that review.
- One piece of supporting information that should accompany the proposal is a sample of the recommended transfer program.
- With this new process, while departments are submitting new programs and going through this process for the program approval, they will be expected to work with the articulation team.
- B. Wells in the Provost office has updated this information in program development guidelines that are published on the Provost website.
- Expectations for handling of individual course information in requirements-based prerequisites
- There are a few course prerequisites that are built from a small set of courses are a requirement or a course list.
- There’s been a disconnect that when something new is approved that impacts that requirement, making sure those requirements get updated in what needs to happen.
- P. Hawley’s department would like to work to develop something in the administrative processes that allows departments to alert P. Hawley’s department when those approvals regarding that prerequisites are received. This will help make sure that processes are being completed from start to finish as those requirements are being changed.
- Vote to allow the Registrars Office continuance handling of things covered by language being already approved:
- BFA in Visual Arts– concentration name change to Photography and Cinema
- GWST BA– name change to Gender, Women’s, and Sexuality Studies
Approved Course and Program Proposals
The Undergraduate Council has approved the course and program changes listed below. Log into Curriculog to view course descriptions.
Course Change Request
ART – 331 – Graphic Design I
ART – 332 – Digital Design I
ART – 333 – Typography I
ART – 334 – Graphic Design II
ART – 336 – Digital Design I
ART – 337 – Typography II
ART – 434 – Digital Design III
ART – 462 – Professional Practices
IS – 125 – Information Systems Logic and Structured Design
IS – 147 – Introduction to Computer Programming
IS – 295 – Intermediate Business Applications
PBHL – 202 – Introduction to Environmental Health
Emergency Health Services, B.S.
POLI – 405 – Seminar in Political Science
POLI – 499 – Selected Topics in American Foreign Policy
ENES – 101- Introduction to Engineering
IS – 300 – Management Information Systems
PHED – 202 – Introduction to Health Behaviors
Visual Arts, B.F.A.